SPECIAL TOPIC: HUMAN SEXUALITY
I. Introductory Remarks
A. Christians have been unduly influenced by Greek asceticism, which makes both the human body and its normal activities evil. The Bible affirms the goodness of physical creation (cf. Gen. 1:31), but acknowledges the results of human rebellion (cf. Genesis 3). One day this curse shall be removed (cf. Rom. 8:18-22).
B. Maleness and femaleness are God's idea! Human sexuality is part of God's creation and plan for human beings made in His image (cf. Gen. 1:26-27). Sex is not something we do; it is something we are. Every area of our thoughts and lives is affected by sexual orientation, as interpreted by our cultures.
II. Biblical Insights (selected examples)
A. From Genesis
1. There was an original mutuality between men and women (cf. Gen. 1:26-27; see word study on "helpmate" at Gen. 1:18 online).
2. Children were a mandate from God (i.e., Gen. 1:28; 9:1,7).
3. All creation is affirmed as "very good" in Gen. 1:31, including human sexual activity.
4. Women are not opposites, but complements, to men (i.e., Gen. 2:18).
5. Eve and Adam's open-eyed rebellion has affected all of us and our world, including sexuality (cf. Gen. 3:7,16; Rom. 5:12-21).
B. Physical love is affirmed in Scripture, even after the Fall.
1. Proverbs 5:15-23 affirms life-long monogamy and regular sexual activity
2. Ecclesiastes 9:7-9, enjoy life in all its aspects while you can
3. Song of Songs is an affirmation of physical love
4. God is an eternal spirit without a body, yet "He" uses human sexual metaphors to describe Himself (i.e., Hosea 1-3; 11)
III. God-given boundaries for expressing human sexuality
1. the norm in the OT and NT
2. used as an example of the "Spirit filled life," Eph. 5:15-6:9
3. 1 Corinthians 7:3-5, sex is more than procreation
a. the body belongs to God, 1 Cor. 6:19-20
b. the body belongs to one's spouse, 1 Cor. 7:4
B. Human sexuality used to illustrate God and His love.
1. Galatians 3:28, summary of the new age, the gospel and its across-the-board availability and equality
2. Ephesians 5:21-31, the Christian home becomes an example of the relationship between Christ and His church (as Hosea 1-3 used Hosea's marriage as a way to explain God's love for Israel)
C. God Himself is described as both male and female.
1. male, so common
a. Father, Deut. 1:31; 32:5; Ps. 103:13; Isa. 63:16; 64:8; Jer. 3:4,19; 31:9; Hos. 11:1; Mal. 3:17
b. husband, Hos. 11:3-4
a. Gen. 1:2, Spirit of God brooded over the waters
b. Gen 17:1, El Shaddai may have feminine connotations (i.e., Arabic root)
c. Deut. 32:18, God as mother bird
d. Exod. 19:4, God as mother eagle
e. Isa. 49:14-15; 66:9-13, God compared to a nursing mother
IV. Mankind's perversions of God-given human sexuality
A. Pre-marital (fornication) and extra-marital (adultery)
B. Some selected texts
1. 1 Cor. 6:15-20
2. Gal. 5:19-21
3. Heb. 13:4
C. Sex (in both thought and act, cf. Matt. 5:27-28) can become a license to use people as things for personal gratification.
1. always second best
2. allowed in the OT, Deut. 24:1-4, but restricted by Jesus, Matt. 5:27-32; 19:3-12
3. hear audio tapes online in "Controversial and Difficult Texts" #2130 and 2131
E. Homosexuality (see Special Topic: Homosexuality)
1. never the will of God
a. Lev. 20:13
b. Rom. 1:26-27
c. 1 Cor. 6:9-11
2. It is serious because it is a lifestyle sin, but no worse than other lifestyle sexual sins (fornication or adultery or lust). It is not the "unpardonable sin" (which is unbelief).
3. All fallen humans struggle with human sexuality. This powerful, persistent, pervasive desire, instinct, and appetite must be dealt with daily by all of us!
4. Many believers were homosexual partners in pagan temples prostitution, but after salvation they were not slaves to it any more, 1 Cor. 6:9,11
V. Concluding remarks
A. Sexuality is God's plan for a completely populated earth.
B. Sexuality is only for time, not eternity, Matt. 22:30; Mark 12:25; Luke 20:34-36.
C. Sexuality has been affected by the Fall. Every one of us is naturally a self-centered, selfish person.
D. Sexuality is meant to help us as redeemed people to become more self-controlled (the capstone of the fruit of the Spirit in Gal. 5:23).
E. Christians bear a primary role in helping families, communities, and nations deal with this powerful and pervasive issue. It can be a drag or a ladder. We are models of divine grace. The best sex education is two parents who love each other selflessly!
F. Sex can be wonderful or awful. It was meant to
1. fill the earth
2. bond two people
3. form the family and communities
4. be enjoyed
Copyright © 2014 Bible Lessons International