SPECIAL TOPIC: JESUS' BAPTISM
Why Jesus was baptized has always been a concern for believers because John's baptism was a baptism of repentance (cf. Matt. 3:11; Mark 1:4; Luke 3:3; Acts 13:24). Jesus did not need forgiveness for He was sinless (cf. 2 Cor. 5:21; Heb. 4:15; 7:26; 1 Pet. 2:22; 1 John 3:5).
The theories have been:
1. it was an example for believers to follow (cf. Matt. 28:19; Acts 2:38)
2. it was His identification with believers' need
3. it was His ordination and equipping for ministry
4. it was a symbol of His redemptive task
5. it was His approval of the ministry and message of John the Baptist
6. it was a prophetic foreshadowing of His death, burial, and resurrection (cf. Rom. 6:4; Col. 2:12).
Whatever the reason, this was a defining moment in Jesus' life.
Copyright © 2014 Bible Lessons International