SPECIAL TOPIC: JESUS AS HIGH PRIEST
The book of Hebrews is unique in the NT in calling Jesus high priest. There are several places in the OT where the Messiah is described in priestly terms (cf. Ps. 110:4; Zechariah 3-4). This theme will be developed fully in chapters Heb. 4:14-5:10 and 6:13-7:28.
Hebrews describes Jesus' High Priestly work in several ways.
1. atonement for sin (cf. Heb. 2:17; 7:27; 9:14)
2. strength for those tempted by sin (cf. Heb. 2:18)
3. grace in time of need (cf. Heb. 4:15-16)
4. brings eternal life (cf. Heb. 5:9-10)
5. intercession on believers' behalf (cf. Heb. 7:25)
6. confidence to approach a holy God (cf. Heb. 10:19-21)
Copyright © 2012 Bible Lessons International