SPECIAL TOPIC: JESUS AS HIGH PRIEST
The book of Hebrews is unique in the NT in calling Jesus high priest. There are two places in the OT where the Messiah is described in priestly terms (cf. Ps. 110:4; Zechariah 3-4). This theme will be developed fully in Heb. 4:14-5:10 and 6:13-7:28.
Hebrews describes Jesus' High Priestly work in several ways.
1. makes atonement for sin (cf. Heb. 2:17; 7:27; 9:14)
2. gives strength for those tempted by sin (cf. Heb. 2:18)
3. gives grace in time of need (cf. Heb. 4:15-16)
4. brings eternal life (cf. Heb. 5:9-10)
5. intercedes on believers' behalf (cf. Heb. 7:25; 9:24)
6. gives confidence to approach a holy God (cf. Heb. 10:19-21)
Copyright © 2014 Bible Lessons International