SPECIAL TOPIC: PAUL'S ADMONITIONS TO SLAVES
1. Be content, but if an opportunity for freedom avails itself, take it (1 Cor. 7:21-24).
2. In Christ there is no slave or free (Gal. 3:28; Col. 3:11; cf. 1 Cor. 12:13).
3. Work as unto the Lord; He will repay (Eph. 6:5-9; Col. 3:22-25; cf. 1 Pet. 2:18-20).
4. In Christ slaves become brothers (1 Tim. 6:2; Philemon 1:16-17).
5. Godly slaves bring honor to God (1 Tim. 6:1; Titus 2:9).
Paul's admonition to slave owners:
Christian slaves and slave owners have the same Master; therefore, they should treat each other with respect (Eph. 6:9; Col. 4:1).
Slavery is one of the cultural items (like Patriarchal culture) that was a pillar of the first century world. The NT does not challenge either aspect. However, the truths of the gospel, in time effected change in these aspects of culture.
Copyright © 2014 Bible Lessons International