SPECIAL TOPIC: THE FAITH (NT) -- from Titus 1:1
The noun has no definite article; therefore, it could refer to
1. one's personal trust in Christ
2. faithful living (OT sense)
3. the body of Christian doctrine (with the article, cf. Acts 6:7; 18:8; 14:22; Gal. 1:23; 3:23; 6:10; Phil. 1:27; Jude 3,20)
Paul's mission was either to
1. stimulate the faith of those already saved
2. bring those elect from eternity into personal faith ("calling out the called")
Both are necessary, but which is being emphasized in this context (i.e., Titus 1:1) is uncertain.
Paul uses kata several times in the opening chapter.
1. according to faith, Titus 1:1
2. according to piety, Titus 1:1
3. according to the command, Titus 1:3
4. according to common faith, Titus 1:4
5. according to appoint, Titus 1:5 (compound word)
6. according to the teaching, Titus 1:9
Obviously there is a standard of truth and conduct (cf. Titus 3:5,7).
Copyright © 2014 Bible Lessons International